one-piece Ls1 DS``

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• one-piece Ls1 DS``

I can get a one piece LS1 DS for free from the guy who is gonna tune my car. Does it help any over our stock 2-piece shaft and is it lighter in weight. I will soon get a aluminum DS when i get the cash, but for now a one piece steely willl do. Just let me know of the gains from it, thanx.
    01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
    AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
    www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
    www.vaperz.com
    PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

you have the stock steel one piece right? You won't notice that big of a difference going from that. If you have a 2piece one then def. replace it with the alum. one
    http://www.bowtiev6.com/

Comment

No i have the stock 2 piece. I cna get a one piece LS1 steely for free. I later when I get the cash get an aluminum. With a steely will u notice any difference?
      01\'Y87 Firebird:Gt1 cam,Vig.3000 stall
      AR stage 3 heads/intakes to be installed
      www.cardomain.com/id/firehawknwv
      www.vaperz.com
      PEWTER MAFIA/ Kristen's "PEWTER MAFIA KING"

Comment

I don't think you would see much of any difference as they are pretty close in weight (25 vs 22 lbs). If you can get the guy who is tuning your car to put it in for free then I say go for it. Removing the two piece can be a pain. [img]smile.gif[/img] When you install the aluminum one you will notice a difference cause its much lighter (10 lbs) I love mine.

-carl
        1996 Firebird Y87<br />Dark Green

Comment

Can anyone tell me why GM went with the 2 piece driveshaft in the first place?

Just seems like another failure point on v6 cars.
          1995 3.4L M5 126k. Not stock, but still not fast.
          2000 Camaro SS M6 85k.

Comment

Originally posted by jutt26:
            Can anyone tell me why GM went with the 2 piece driveshaft in the first place?

Just seems like another failure point on v6 cars.
            Because the 1-piece driveshafts were more prone to vibration. The 2-piece is a smoother ride.
            Matt
            1998 Mystic Teal Camaro M5
            Whisper Lid, Pacesetter Headers, Catco Cat, Dynomax Super Turbo, B&M Shifter, BMR STB, LSD, P&P Intakes, GT2 Cam, Comp OE Lifters, 1.7 Roller Rockers, Pushrods, SSM Heads, DHP PowrTuner.

Comment

also heard they had lots of "shorter" driveshafts manufactured for something and they retrofitted them to work in our cars.
              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

thanks 98Camaro3.8

I was curious.
                2000 Camaro SS M6 85k.

Comment

Eric, any truth to that?
                  2000 Camaro SS M6 85k.

Comment

Back to the top for another question on this subject. Are there any disadvantages to going to an aluminum one piece DS other than cost, rather than a one piece steel DS?

I have heard that the Aluminum can buckle under high power, but lets face it, I have a 3.4 and doubt I can ever make that much power.

What about vibrations?
                    2000 Camaro SS M6 85k.

Comment

To the truth about the Aluminum Drive Shfts that are made for any car the alloy they are made of make them stronger than a metal Drive shaft. "DEPENDING ON DIAMETER" About the Vibrations if anything i have noticed less with the aluminum Drive shafts i have instaled then the 2 peice with carrier bearings. GO TO SOLID ALLUMINUM. And if you really want to get into bad to the bone drive shafts i had to have a Carbon Fiber DS custom made to my 78 to Transfer the power to tire better and to handle tourqe. if you got the power and got the money Carbon Fiber is the way to go. Steel DS are a thing of the past boys and girls. . . GOOD WILL WRENCHING. . .
                      ~BLUEICE~

Comment

I replaced the 2 piece driveshaft on my car with an ACPT carbon fiber DS last year. It is definately overkill for a V6, but it is superior to the aluminum driveshafts in vibration dampening, weight savings and strength. Lower rotational mass = more power to wheels quicker. The V6 cars had problems with vibration over 118mph with the one piece shafts (rear seal leaks = not cool), the 2 piece fixed it. But for the cost you could buy 5 aluminum driveshafts. If you can afford them, or find them used like I did, then definately do it.
                        1999 Camaro M5<br />\"Boost: And you thought crack was addicting...\"<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231041\" target=\"_blank\">http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2231041</a>

Comment

A vibrating drive shaft can easily be fixed by balancing it. Most 4WD shops will do that pretty cheap too.
                          1999 Firebird

Comment

Never had probs with Vibrations caused by the driveshaft at any speeds. nor leaking seal. something else got to be up look into it.
                            ~BLUEICE~

Comment

Originally posted by jutt26:
                              Back to the top for another question on this subject. Are there any disadvantages to going to an aluminum one piece DS other than cost, rather than a one piece steel DS?

I have heard that the Aluminum can buckle under high power, but lets face it, I have a 3.4 and doubt I can ever make that much power.

What about vibrations?
                              You should be fine... makes you feel better I snapped the output shaft on my transmission before I broke my aluminum driveshaft. So likely won't be the weakpoint.

I suggest anything over 2 piece, aluminum is better but is like $100, steel ones are from free to $25.

just better to go to for, more strength and I had the center bearing on my 2 piece go out and cause some problems. a piece avoids that problem.
                              -Eric<br /><a href=\"http://www.cardomain.com/id/mustangeater82\" target=\"_blank\">2000 NBM V6 Camaro 5-speed</a> T-top <i>converted</i><br /><b>14.467@95.45mph</b> <i>$0 in mods</i><br /><i>The member formerly known as MustangEater8251</i>

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

FORUM SPONSORS

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X